DNV Mayor Mike Little cut the ribbon at the grand opening celebration of the pickleball courts at Murdo Frazer on Thursday September 26th. Also in attendance were representatives from DNV Parks & Rec Commission, Walter Knecht, President of Pickleball BC. and approximately 35 North Shore Pickleball Club members. The Mayor was keen to try pickleball for the first time so a court was toweled off for him!
Read the North Shore News coverage here.
Excerpt from the DNV website:
We are building a new community recreation centre at 2035 Fullerton Avenue, in the heart of the new Lions Gate Village.
Features of the new centre will include:
- a full-sized gymnasium with basketball, volleyball, badminton, and pickleball
- an express library operated by North Vancouver District Public Libraries (NVDPL)
- community spaces, including a meeting room, ‘living’ room with comfortable seating areas, and a kitchen for gatherings, classes, and group lunches
- office space for community service groups, such as Capilano Community Services Society
- a District owned public plaza with play spaces and outdoor seating
The new centre is scheduled to open in the spring of 2020.
Thanks to the 166 NSPC members, (38% of the membership), who completed our August online survey. You can see the results below for yourself. As a result of your input we will try out some more level play sessions and skills sessions for the last 6 to 8 weeks of 2019 PB season. This data may also be used to promote pickleball on the North Shore.