Pickleball is the fastest growing sport in North America because the rules are simple and the learning curve is short. What keeps people playing is that the game can develop into a quick, fast-paced, competitive game for experienced players.
How to Start?
- Watch some online videos that explain the rules and how to score (see below);
- Grab some court shoes and a paddle; and
- Start playing!
Pickleball Players are a friendly group. Beginners are included in many places, including Murdo Frazer, Little Cates and Normanby courts most mornings.
You won’t be a beginner for very long, so we suggest you purchase the best quality paddle you can afford. Paddles come in a variety of sizes, grip lengths, weights and materials. Visit a pro shop where you can demo paddles and get the best advice. For more thoughts on your first paddle from the pros, watch: Cheryl and/or Rackets and Runners
We hold monthly free 2-hour Introduction to Pickleball sessions. For information on the next session, watch your newsletter, our Facebook page or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Sorry, NSPC does not offer lessons because of our limited permit times.
NVRC and West Vancouver Recreation offer lessons. Check their websites for details or phone:
- John Braithwaite Community Centre – 604-983-6471
- Parkgate Community Recreation Centre – 604-983-6350
- Gleneagles Community Centre – 604 921-2100
- Delbrook Community Centre – 604-987-7529
- Lionsgate Community center – 604 983-7670
NSPC put out a call for instructors and these names were forwarded. Please make your own inquiries about qualifications.
- Cheryl Young, email@example.com, www.cypickleball.ca, NCCP Level 2 coach offering “Learn to Play” and “Intermediate” one day camps.
- Jamie MacHutchin, Sure Shot Pickleball Coaching, 604 500 4977, Jamie_MacHutchin@hotmail.com, NCCP Level 2 certified coach providing private and Semi-private sessions for beginner and intermediate players.
- Maggie Murch, firstname.lastname@example.org, NCCP Level 2 Coach specializing in private and small group lessons for intermediate players.
Pickleball Rules: The Definitive Beginner’s Guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTvPYdKZqO0
How to Keep Score: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoheCHp6IDw
Click here to see the official Rule Book from Pickleball Canada.
Click here to learn about NSPC court etiquette.