Outdoor doubles play has resumed as of May 25, 2021!
Permits to play until October 9, 2021 at
Little Cates on two courts:
Monday to Saturday 8am – 1pm and Tuesdays & Thursdays 5pm – 8:00pm and
Murdo Frazer on four courts:
- Tuesday, Thursday & Saturdays, 9-am to noon and
- Monday & Wednesdays 1 – 4-pm
- Mondays, Wednesdays* & Thursdays 6-pm to 8-pm.
The other 83% of the court time at Murdo Frazer is open to the public from 8-am to 8-pm. (Courts are locked at night.)
Where to Play?
NSPC membership now exceeds 500 people. While a two-hundred of those are new to the club and/or the game, many more of us are long time members and players. We have always been a friendly group to play with. And we do so at multiple locations.
In the “old days”, the club operated by putting up nets for club play. Now with permanent nets at three locations we are sharing with the public, except when we are given permits. Here are your options for club play this summer.
1. West Vancouver 29th and Marine Dr.
Thanks to long time advocacy work, West Vancouver has had 3 permanent courts at this location since early 2019. NSPC has no permit to play, but the pickleball community is welcoming and congenial.
We understand from some of the regular players that their system is whoever shows up gets to play obviously and, when more people arrive, either familiar players or newcomers, the current players usually finish their game or two at the most and then sit out (assuming all courts are busy) and make a court available to the new arrivals or invite them to play.
They are a socially friendly group respecting the growing sport and go out of their way to make all newcomers and beginners welcome.
This appears to work better than the 30 min posted rule, although it is recognized some people may insist on playing 30 mins as that is the municipal rule.”
Courts are open 9-am to 6-pm Monday through Sunday only. These courts will be moved to a new location in 2022. [See the WV Parks letter in our News posts.]
2. Little Cates
A fun-loving group continues to play at Little Cates on the 2 courts with portable nets stored in a box there. Members wanting to use them are given an orientation by Board member Karen Wilson. Play is rotational and inclusive.
New courts have been postponed … again!
Lots of new players are discovering the four permanent courts at Mahon. They are particularly busy weekends and evenings. Play is limited to a 1/2 hour and a paddle on the fence is the method used to determine next-up. NSPC has no permit to manage club play although some club members play here.
4. Other Public Courts
During public play times, you may get your own court, make your own rules, etc.. Check below for a list of full public pickleball courts on the North Shore.
5. Murdo Frazer
- The role of pickleball open club play is to allow as many players as possible to practice and learn from each other as possible in a friendly, competitive environment. Open club pickleball play is inclusive; all skill levels are welcome. There are no set partnerships in open club pickleball.
Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday 9-am – noon and Monday’s and Thursday’s 6 – 8pm
What does open club rotational play look like?
You can google it and get the rules from any number of clubs. Here are the basics.
- Hosts will write your name on the whiteboard, always trying to balance the games and include everyone.
- Players will be invited onto open courts in whiteboard order.
- If the next-up box has 3 names only, no-one goes onto the open courts until that threesome becomes a foursome.
- Respect the hosts and your fellow members. Its just for fun!
- Respect and comply with on-going covid protocols that are posted on the doors of the court.
Indoor Play Times
Check the NVRC and West Vancouver Leisure Guides for the latest.
As of September 17, 2021 North and West Vancouver Recreation are providing for indoor play and lessons. In all cases you must:
- register online to reserve your place each week and
- show your vaccine passport on entry.
JBCC: Tuesday & Thursday 1 – 3pm
Parkgate: Wednesday 10:30 – 12:30 & 12:45-2:45, Friday 6 – 8pm
Delbrook: none so far
West Vancouver Community Center offers level play only:
- Beginners: Wednesdays 12:45
- Intermediates: Tuesdays & Thursdays 10:30am
Gleneagles: Advanced Thursdays 5:30 pm
Interested in beginners’ lessons? Classes at all recreation centers are limited and fill quickly. Register asap.
This isn’t near enough indoor play time for our 500+ members and other community players and we’ve let NVRC and WVD Parks know we need much more and a dedicated indoor facility! In the meantime, if you are aware of suitable spaces that could be rented for pickleball play, let us know.