DNV Mayor Mike Little cut the ribbon at the grand opening celebration of the pickleball courts at Murdo Frazer on Thursday September 26th. Also in attendance were representatives from DNV Parks & Rec Commission, Walter Knecht, President of Pickleball BC. and approximately 35 North Shore Pickleball Club members. The Mayor was keen to try pickleball for the first time so a court was toweled off for him!
Read the North Shore News coverage here.
From the Murdo Frazer Potluck, Monday September 2.
1. In what year did Lilly and Ed contact Parkgate and West Vancouver Recreation centers and lobby for playing times?
A. 2004 B. 2007 C. 2010 D. 2013
2. Our Pickleball BC president is a local person you may have played with and/or read his monthly newsletter. His name is:
A. Allan B. Bruce C. Charles D. Walter
3. The total number of permanent outdoor pickleball courts on the North Shore now number:
A. 5 B. 8 C. 10 D. 12
4. The total number of outdoor tennis courts lined for pickleball on the North Shore now number:
A. 0 – 10 B. 11 – 15 C. 16 – 20 D. over 20
5. North Vancouver City recently surveyed the public about park improvements and announced permanent pickleball courts will be added next year to:
A. Grand Blvd. B. Mahon C. Waterfront D. Harry Jerome
6. A new community recreation center is being built in the Lions Gate Village with a full-sized gymnasium for basketball, volleyball, badminton, and pickleball. It is scheduled to open:
A. 2020 B. 2021 C. 2022 D. its fiction!
7. NSPC members have met at a number of pubs this winter. Which location was NOT visited?
A. Red Lion B. Two Lions C. Colony D. Raven
8. The NSPC website has a background colour of:
A. yellow B. green C. orange D. blue
9. How many people have joined the NSPC in the last 3 months, June – August?
A. 0 – 25 B . 25 – 50 C. 51 – 100 D. over 100
10. Our Facebook page currently has –?- followers.
A. 0 – 50 B. 51 – 100 C. 101 – 200 D. over 200
ANSWERS: 1- B, 2-D, 3-B, 4-A (6)**, 5-B, 6-A, 7-D, 8-A, 9-D (109), 10-B (98)
** Apologies that the number given at the Potluck was incorrect.
Excerpt from the DNV website:
We are building a new community recreation centre at 2035 Fullerton Avenue, in the heart of the new Lions Gate Village.
Features of the new centre will include:
- a full-sized gymnasium with basketball, volleyball, badminton, and pickleball
- an express library operated by North Vancouver District Public Libraries (NVDPL)
- community spaces, including a meeting room, ‘living’ room with comfortable seating areas, and a kitchen for gatherings, classes, and group lunches
- office space for community service groups, such as Capilano Community Services Society
- a District owned public plaza with play spaces and outdoor seating
The new centre is scheduled to open in the spring of 2020.
Thanks to the 166 NSPC members, (38% of the membership), who completed our August online survey. You can see the results below for yourself. As a result of your input we will try out some more level play sessions and skills sessions for the last 6 to 8 weeks of 2019 PB season. This data may also be used to promote pickleball on the North Shore.